RO donations and crowdfunding
Our mission is to support (freelance) journalists and provide an additional source of income for them. We do this by selling their work in online newsstands like Blendle , but also by providing technology and marketing services for journalists that want to collect donations and crowdfunding revenue.
We believe that the best way for journalists to be truly independent is to create direct relationships with their audience. Trust in journalism can only be maintained when media makers and people looking for information and perspective can communicate directly. Part of this relationship is, necessarily, financial support. Media are in crisis, and this crisis will most likely continue. So journalist need the support of the people they work for: their audience. Sponsors of journalism and journalists. Reporters Online provides services that enable both journalists and their sponsors to do so.
We have recently started this service; we do not, af this point in time, have a complete set of terms and agreements. We do, however, have a couple of simple guiding principles.
- Our journalists can be sponsored by their audience. This can never erode their independence in any way.
- Our journalists and their sponsors are a community with a joint goal: to provide good journalism. They work together to achieve this goal.
- This relationship is transparent: journalist can know their sponsors and their sponsors can know them. Journalists can contact their sponsors. Readers, viewers and listeners that provide support have a right to know how their money is being used.
- The primary way to promote the work of journalists is to do exactly that: to promote their work. The platform of Reporters Online, and all marketing activities, will be focused on publications.
- Reporters Online facilitates the communities of journalists and their sponsors and does not influence their joint operation in any way, within the limits of the law. Reporters Online does not facilitate journalism that is unlawful or discriminatory and will see to it that donations and crowdfunding are not used in a fraudulent way.
- 90% of all generated revue will always go to journalists that are members of our platform, 10% will go to Reporters Online to support and maintain the platform.
Within in the next couple of years we will upgrade this service to a full fledged worldwide donations and crowdfunding platform for independent journalism. Lots of thing will change. The principles stated above will not.
If you need more information or if you have any questions: please mail us, email@example.com